Monday 21 July 2008

Protect Me Protect My Baby

Today is a day that we are going to remember for months. James and I went to our first protest. It was a protest called 'Protect me, protect my baby'. In the UK a new bill has been passed that it is illegal to ask a mom to stop breastfeeding her baby in public, if the baby is under 6 months old. We were protesting the fact that there is the 6 month limit, why? We should be able to feed our baby in public regardless of your babies age. No, I don't plan on breastfeeding James until he is 4 years old, but I do plan on breastfeeding him until he is a year old, at least. We left home at about 12 and went to the Bournemouth Gardens and met the other moms there, there were about 70 moms there when we arrived, and throughout the day I think that there must have been about 100 moms with babies that stopped by. Our protest was in the form of a picnic and there were moms, babies and buggies everywhere, people were stopping to stare and take photos. Even the Newspaper came out and took some group shots and interviewed some moms. James and I should be in the paper either tomorrow or Wednesday! Yay! Only 7 months old and has already made the news.

After the picnic protest we decided to take the bus home, well, the first bus that we got on broke down, so we all had to get out of the bus to get on the next one. The next bus that came everyone else got on, except James and I. The bus was full and where the buggie was suppose to go there were old people sitting and I don't like making old people stand, so we waited for the next bus. We got on the next bus and this "Bob Marley wannabee" was very taken up with James and he kept trying to talk to James and James kept smiling from me to Bob with a smile that said, 'Dude what are you on? Are you like a clown or something because there is something wrong with your hair'. We then drove past the bus that everyone else had climbed on because that bus had crashed into a car (not serious at all), and all those people from that bus then had to climb onto our bus. We then went to the library and renewed our books and then to Sainsburys. There is a cashier I try and avoid there because she never greets and never smiles, life is just too much for her, but today she was working the wide aisle till so I went to her, and found out that she is from Zimbabwe and lived in South Africa, so now she smiles and me and even said good bye! From there we went to Boots, where I bought James' nappies, and even though it wasn't advertised they were 2GBP cheaper than on the card in front of it. I bought a couple of other things, but noticed that I never received the double points that I was suppose to for buying Pampers, so I queried it, and the cashier added an extra 100 points (each point is worth a pence), I was only suppose to receive an extra 28 points, so for a purchase that came to 13.32GBP, I got 214 points.... yay!!!

So all in all, I think that we had one of our best days in a long time, and the sun was shining on us as well.....

James getting ready to leave home and protest!

James enjoyed his lunch at the protest

Mummies and Babies Everywhere!

This protesting is hard work......

James and I

After a hard day of protesting

(This protest was going on throughout England, we went to the Bournemouth one)




3 comments:

Anonymous said...

hey!! James is so cute!! looks like he has a realy active mind - and a very very happy baby! XX rene

Jelena and Mark said...

Good for you and James for joining the protest! 6 months old? Where does that come from? Ridiculous.
James is adorable and it looks like he really enjoyed the whole protest thing. Getting ready to change the world, right ;)?

Anonymous said...

oops! Should have checked your blog first!

Good for you guys for getting out and protesting! I wish I would have known about this, I would have brought Milo out!

James is soo cute, I like all the pictures!