Tuesday 25 March 2008

Introductions

Hi, I have called this an experiment, because that is exactly what this is. I often read my friends blogs and admire them, and while I was showing a friend of mine a blog the other day, she suggested that perhaps I should start one, so Bicara, here goes my attempt. My name is Janine and I live in Bournemouth, UK. I am originally from Cape Town, South Africa. I live here with my South African husband, Gareth and my young son, James. James was born here at Poole Hospital in December 2007. We have lived here since June 2007 and before that we were living in Vero Beach, Florida, USA. I think that both Gareth and my favourite place to live is in America. I think that if you had to take all our family and friends and put them in America, it would be our perfect place. Unfortunately, we don't qualify for greencards nor do all our family and friends live in America.
I know that here in the UK, not very many people have been impressed by the NHS, but I have to admit that I have been very impressed by them. I had a "troubled" pregnancy and by the end of my 9 months I was having a doctors/midwife appointment every second day. I saw the physio a good few times, I had at least 1 blood test every week from 33 weeks pregnant, I was transported in an ambulance, spend 3 nights in hospital and had the midwife and health visitors visit me at home. I feel like I should be receiving a bill, but nope, nothing. Since James has been born, between him and I we have been to the doctor half a dozen times, and yet, still no bill, I have been to the dentist, and again no bill, medication, no bill?. I almost feel lost waiting for it. I also belong to the Children's Center, and have had great support there, James and I go to the Under One's Group and Breast Friends, which is a group of breast feeding mom's that support each other, at first the idea scared me, but now I love the group (last week I even managed to finally breast feed in Coffee Shop, thanks to their support - and that is not something gross in the UK, its actually encouraged), I have even started doing a course at the Children's Center to be able to support other moms with feeding. Again, there is no charge for any of that.
I think I could probably mumble on and on..... I really want to tell my birth story, its my War Story and I am really proud of it...... wouldn't you be if you had natural birth with only laughing gas as your pain relief? But I won't do that tonight..... James is sleeping, but thats only because I have drugged him with Nurofen, besides the fact that he is teething badly, he had his second immunisations today, so I am going to have a nice bath and then join Gareth in watching Las Vegas.

My son, James (You will be hearing a lot about him)



Gareth and I on our wedding day

3 comments:

Lorry said...

I look forward to your War Story. And hopefully more pics. James is adorable!

Jelena and Mark said...

It's a great start! James is so cute!

Anonymous said...

great blog! looking forward to hearing all bout the little one and his "adventures" :)
XX Rene & Gar