Tuesday 11 November 2008

We are still alive

I have not been posting lately because I have started to worry about internet security, I know its a bit late, but rather late than never right? I am still going to post, but I think that I need to be a bit more careful about what I post.
So what have we been up to?
Gareth - well his books have finally arrived and he is studying every night, thus leaving me at a loose end. He writes his first 2 exams in December. He is studying for his ACCA, oh, how I look forward to been a Chartered Accountants wife (and then being allowed to have another baby). He has to study in the lounge because James is sleeping in our bedroom, and my SIL is in the other room. So we switch the TV off and I try not to make too much noise whilst sitting in the same room as him.
Me - Well, because of his studying, I am reading a lot and bathing a lot. I have also started my application essay for my studies towards being a Breastfeeding Counsellor. I never thought that I would have a lot to say in the essay, but I am only on the second question out of 8 and I already have 3 typed pages.... not sure how long it is going to end up being. I am also suppose to be going back to work in December at the old Insurance Company that I used to temp at. But, I am still waiting for them to confirm this..... hopefully I will know more soon, watch this space.
James - he is still crawling at unbelievably fast speeds, climbs up on everything, climbs over and under everything. He is constantly covered in bumps and bruises thanks to his adventurous and inquisitive personality. He now has 6 teeth, and loves to use them to bite me or daddy. I don't think that he is going to be walking anytime soon, as he is so proficient at crawling, there is no need. He can climb 15 stairs in under 2 minutes and can now climb off the bed or sofa, and not the express way. He sleeps through the night and his appetite has increased a lot. He can now eat an entire Cow and Gate Tray meal and a yoghurt for dinner. He is starting nursery in December and I think that he is ready for it. It is a lovely nursery, very homely and ticks all the boxes. We had our follow up paeditrician appointment today, and she is happy with his weight. He has not picked up a lot of weight, but seems to be following the second centile. She also says that sleeping through the night is an indication that he is getting enough food/nutrients. She was not happy about his foreskin and has referred him to a surgeon. His foreskin is still too tight even after using that steriod cream for 8 weeks, and thinks that James needs to be circumcised. In September I had wanted James to be circumcised, but the more I have thought about it, the less I like the idea. I really don't want my baby to go under anaesthetic, but if it is going to be better for him in the long run, well then. Maybe he is in the 1% of babies that the NHS will circumcise for medical reasons.

And thats an update on us. Gareth is asking for the computer and I have a meeting in the morning, so night night.........

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sorry to intrude here but how old is this boy? Most boys show no signs of being retractable until at least 11 at which point only about 50% are. Please read this article which discusses normal development.

http://www.cirp.org/library/normal/

Jelena and Mark said...

Good to hear that everything is going well with the three of you.Good luck with your new job!

Aisling said...

It's great to hear you guys are doing so much. I'm sure James will be fine if he does need to be circumcised and it'll be much more difficult for you than him.

Unknown said...

My son's foreskin did not retract until he was about 10. My doctor explained to me like this:

At birth, the foreskin is normally attached or fused to the glans (like the fingernail to the finger), and slowly
separates as part of normal development until the child reaches puberty. The fact that a baby's foreskin won't retract
is completely normal and healthy. As long as your baby can urinate, the foreskin is not too tight and is perfectly
normal. A child whose foreskin is still attached to the glans and therefore cannot be retracted is sometimes mistakenly
referred to as having "phimosis." Phimosis is a condition where an adolescent or adult's foreskin is too tight to retract
past the glans, therefore, it is incorrect to say that an infant or very young child has phimosis. Phimosis can be treated
with topical steroid creams
and gentle stretching (see this link for a discussion of phimosis and treatment options).

Please note that the foreskin should never be forcibly retracted before it's ready. The first person to retract a boy's
foreskin should be the boy himself and no one else. It is not necessary for anyone to "check" under the foreskin.
Premature retraction of the foreskin can cause bleeding, infection, and even skin adhesions.

Here is a good website about circumcision.

http://www.ksnocirc.org